linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Development  >  Suggestions
linktree Topic: Embar City
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Embar City  (Read 10811 times)
Offline ghost101

Necroposter :P
« on: June 10, 2010, 05:31:23 am »

Bridge to the City in the Sky was a failure but i made a underground city...-drum roll- Embar City http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/3253/embarcity.png check it

I keel yew.
Offline Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2010, 11:19:24 pm »

Looking pretty good so far.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2010, 07:22:44 am »

From the sky to below is quite a change. Personally I think a dungeon is easiest to start with, because it has clear edges for the mapset (rocks are better for a mapset edge than trees, in my opinion). The idea is still on my list of future maps, so maybe one day... ;)

The map you made looks good so far, like Cleo said. :)
You might want to run the map validator/checker script to see what is not allowed by the server and fix it. Some mobs seem to be outside of spawn point, some quest markers outside of mobs. Running the map validator/checker will discover these bugs and tell you how to solve them. There is a strange object underneath the peasant in the old woman's house, what is it and what does it do?

Some suggestions for improvement: You should add some light sources (i.e. lamps, torches..) to your underground city, under the surface it's usually dark. You could add some pottery to the old woman's house, a library to the mage's, tables and tapestries in the castle, a scarecrow to the farm fields, some plants on the grass. Maybe some statues, be creative when adding details. Such aesthetics make the map unique and interesting to explore. You could even replant the trees so they're not in a straight line and maybe do the same with the dungeon edge, you might discover a tunnel to a new hunting cave when you do that. ;)

~Kiana~
Offline ghost101

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2010, 10:50:24 am »

I wasn't adding the mobs to the spawn points  ;) inventory and the royal guard has been put in the castle redid the trees and added plants and made the shop a unique shop because idk how to make it a shop and well im working on the quests ill put up a new screenshot when everything is done   :mrgreen:

I keel yew.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2010, 03:24:27 pm »

Great, can't wait for it to be finished :)
Embar City is a nice name. I don't know if you picked it on purpose but to embar means to bar or shut in; to inclose securely, as with bars. Which is of course quite appropriate for an underground city :D
If you need help with the scripts just ask. I'm sure there's some devs who could help you out with that
~Kiana~
Offline ghost101

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:36:13 pm »

actually the name was made by a typo but it suounded like a good name soi kept and i need some helping on making quests (the only thing idk) they are really confusing  8)

I keel yew.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 08:35:45 pm »

How to make a key: Change the key string (slaying) to for example embar_city_castle and add the same key string (slaying) to the door(s).

Gates: They key might not work because you are using "gate"s in the castle. Gates and grates can only be triggered by time and connections. You should use the "metal door". You can find this in the arch-list by clicking "walls", then selecting "doors" from the drop-down menu or press ctrl+alt+A and search for "metal door".

Quests: You can find quest examples and their script on the testmap /maps/dev/testmaps/testmap_python (like I told you in-game). If you can't figure it out yourself using the examples feel free to ask. :)
~Kiana~
Offline ghost101

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2010, 10:19:09 pm »

Okay thanks.

I keel yew.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2010, 10:31:15 pm »

You're welcome :)
~Kiana~
Offline ghost101

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:42 am »

The new and improved Embar City ,without mobs, ta da da da!  :shock: http://img813.imageshack.us/img813/3253/embarcity.png   :lol:

I keel yew.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 08:34:30 am »

You learn fast :D Adding the details is really an improvement. Dead trees because there's no sun. Some bookcases in the mage's house. The water system is well thought of, it starts somewhere and it ends somewhere.

Next step would be to give it more of an underground feel, you could add some rocks or pillars. Maybe add a few caves to the sides. I'm looking forward to it.
~Kiana~
Offline Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:44:17 am »

Randomizing the floor using pickmaps would help a bit too.
Offline ghost101

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:26 am »

http://img815.imageshack.us/img815/3253/embarcity.png

I keel yew.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:59:52 am »

Like I said, you're really fast :)
Keep it up :)
~Kiana~
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 09:29:31 am »

Note that NPCs should be in spawnpoints too.
~Kiana~
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: