linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  Support
linktree Topic: [problem] Linux installation: initial Keybindings and Widgets
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: [problem] Linux installation: initial Keybindings and Widgets  (Read 4569 times)
Offline Christoph
« on: April 30, 2013, 07:08:48 pm »

Hello,

I've successfully installed the Linux package on Debian, which runs out of the box, but there are a few problems remaining possibly preventing a new user from playing:

• The game started with an empty keybinding list, so none of the documented keys worked. I had to download the source package and install its "keys.dat" file manually, because I found no documentation about all commands needed for playing.
  • The widget where you can see the items on the square you are standing one is missing.
  • The "shift" key does not work at all, so I cannot open the inventory without the mouse.

Is there a complete list of commands, so that I can create possibly mssing keybindings?

Is there a way to make "shift" work or to assign the function  to another key?

Presently I cannot look into containers on the map, just "get" or "examine" blindly anything which might possibly be inside.

I'm sure I would not have succeeded to do anything yet, if I weren't familiar with Linux in general and hadn't already played Daimonin before.

Christoph
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2013, 10:45:35 pm »

Hi,

Try replacing the contents of your ~/.atrinik/3.0/settings/keys.dat file with the following: http://pastebin.com/w8r7fBES

Are you playing on a laptop? It's possible the screen's resolution is too low, and the ground inventory widget can't fit. Try changing the client's resolution from the settings. Using the /resetwidgets command might also help.
Offline Christoph
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 06:19:25 pm »

Hi,

thank you for the advice. In the meantime I had already solved the problems, but keep wondering how they were created in the first place.

• Keybindings

The solution was moving "keys.dat" out of the way after stopping the client, restarting created a fresh one with the default bindings in place.

I suspect that something is created in the wrong order when the whole ".atrinik" directory isn't there already; the Debian/Ubuntu package most certainly doesn't mess with users' home directories, because traditionally every user has their own configuration, and won't even need one for Atrinik unless they actually play it, so this is left to the application. The installer also cannot tell who called it, because "root" privileges are needed for installation. So I suspect that "keys.dat" might be created before the whole path "~/.atrinik/3.0/settings" is there and silently fails. I haven't verified that yet.

Please consider to remap "[" and "]" for turning left and right in future versions, because it is internationally unavailable, almost all Germans use a QWERTZ-keyboard with "ö" and "ä" in that place, and have those characters on "AltGr-8" and "AltGr-9" making them unuseable due to the needed modifier "Right Alt Key".

• Widgets

I found that I had selected the option to allow widgets to reside off-screen, but unselecting did not bring the desired one back. I played in windowed mode with two KDE panels at the top and bottom edge, so the usable screen height was lower than the total of 768 pixels.

The widget reappeared when i decided to activate all widgets in the configuration file manually, setting the numbers to "1".

Some weird things happened, though: the widget with the "attack state" graphics once got a surrounding frame, and I've now got two square shaped windows like those fior chat and messages. What are they and how are they called in the configuration file?

Is it possibls to accidentally switch off widgets that don't have a closing button and are not mentioned in the configuration options (like "FPS")?

I'm not sure how all this happened, but I think it would be best to start the game again as another user with no configuration directories in place to investigate if there's a reproducible problem with creating a default configuration.

Christoph
Offline Christoph
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 07:16:10 pm »

I'm not sure how all this happened, but I think it would be best to start the game again as another user with no configuration directories in place to investigate if there's a reproducible problem with creating a default configuration.

Did that and found that the missing widget indeed appeared totally off-screen even having the option to disallow that in place. Resizing the window once with this option active to an even smaller size moved all widgets to the visible area, hovever.

So there is essentially one case left: playing in full-screen mode on a low-height screen will not allow you to ever see the widget. What about calling the resize function (whatever triggers the widget rearrangement) once on every login (without actually changing the size) to have all off-screen widgets appear in the visible area? Players liking to play with partly off-screen windows could easily prevent this by allowing it to happen in the settings.

A "keys.dat" was properly created, no idea why there wasn't one on my first attempt to play the game. Perhaps something went wrong when I changed some client settings before creating a character?

I have still no idea about the shift keys, here's my "diff" for the non-working and default configuration:

Code: [Select]
diff keys.alt ~/.atrinik/3.0/settings/keys.dat 
73a74,97
>       # page up
>       key 280
>       repeat 1
>       command ?PAGEUP
> end
> bind
>       # page down
>       key 281
>       repeat 1
>       command ?PAGEDOWN
> end
> bind
>       # insert
>       key 277
>       repeat 1
>       command ?PAGEUP_MSG
> end
> bind
>       # delete
>       key 127
>       repeat 1
>       command ?PAGEDOWN_MSG
> end
> bind
177a202,206
>       # tab
>       key 9
>       command ?RANGE
> end
> bind
204,205c233,239
<       # tab
<       key 9
---
>       # left shift
>       key 304
>       command ?INVENTORY
> end
> bind
>       # right shift
>       key 303

The wrong one was there after restarting the client with the previously empty key list. As you can see, there was no "shift" and "?INVENTORY" on "tab".

Christoph
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20:50 pm »

I think it should be possible to ensure widgets will be visible at init time, currently it is only done on /resetwidgets and when resizing the window IIRC.

I'm not sure why you had problems with keys.dat file, I'll try investigating.

What keys would you suggest for turning left/right?
Offline Christoph
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2013, 02:16:24 am »

Hi,

thanks for looking after this.

I think it should be possible to ensure widgets will be visible at init time, currently it is only done on /resetwidgets and when resizing the window IIRC.

This sounds good.

I'm not sure why you had problems with keys.dat file, I'll try investigating.

I failed to reproduce it, starting without configuration works now, it creates EXACTLY the file you posted earlier.

What keys would you suggest for turning left/right?

I've set them to "menu" and "right control", but it should of course work also on a keyboard with lesser keys and not interfere with users who got used to shoot with the right control key.

There are a few keys that are problematic:

• On the top row on the main block the leftmost key and the one immediately left of "backspace" have accents ("dead keys") on QWERTZ keyboards: "^", "'"; gravis and acute.
  • "windows/super" and "menu" keys are not present on older keyboards and possibly problematic on laptops.
  • The following characters are available through modifiers only: "°", "!", "§", "$", "%", "&", "/", "(", ")", "=", "?", "*", "'", ">", """, ";", ":", "_" (shift); "{", "[", "]", "\", "|", "µ", "@" (AltGr); "~" (AltGr and "dead")

I suggest keeping "[" and "]", but adding the same function to two keys adjacent to each other, not yet in use in the game and not on a problematic position, perhaps "b" and "n", I think those are adjacent on many keyboard layouts and just above "space".

It's always problematic if you look for convenient positions on the keyboard while not using scan codes. There's also a "mixed approach": some keys are chosen because of their position, others because of the meaning like "m", or "p".

Christoph
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2013, 05:21:49 pm »

Thanks for your input, it is much appreciated. :)
Offline Christoph
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2013, 03:53:29 am »

Thanks, I forgot to mention "}"…

I also noticed today that "?M_MCON" doesn't work.

Christoph
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2013, 10:02:34 am »

Try "?MCON", that should work I think.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: