linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Development  >  Developer Discussions
linktree Topic: Removal of "unique" maps
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removal of "unique" maps  (Read 3206 times)
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« on: September 28, 2011, 12:48:57 pm »

Something that might be worth checking out: bringing back "unique 1" for floor tiles in apartment-type maps. This would allow us to have only some tiles save player-dropped items, and would support tiled apartment maps. Pretty much there would be no more unique maps; the "unique destination" flag in the teleporters would be effectively an instance flag, with the option for mappers to allow adding floors that have all the contents saved to the player-specific save file.

This would especially be useful for luxury house maps (which will, eventually, completely replace apartments) - right now, we have that gardener NPC who cleans up crap from outside of the house, but it would be more efficient to just not save anything on the outside. Also it would support forwards-compatibility; if we ever need to change something on the outside of the house (decor bug, archetype, script options, etc), we wouldn't need an upgrade script to do the job.
Offline ddhanna
Main Server Mod
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 05:45:20 pm »

i dont know, i think if you leave something outside of your house, you are asking for it to be stolen. better to have it in the house where you can lock the door.

i think most players will organize the stuff they want to keep. (piles of armor, weapons, books, ect.)
i would say dont have it save outside of the house.
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 05:55:44 pm »

With an explanation from the house agency NPC, of course. Like "The item-preservation spell only includes items in your house, so don't leave them on the outside!" or something like that. ;)
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 04:40:31 pm »

"Be sure to leave your items inside the house. On the outside they might get stolen when you're not around!" No magic spell needed here :)

Just wondering, (on server resources) how is saving apartment contents to the player file efficient? Especially with different apartments in different regions.

M.
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 05:15:07 pm »

I never said the player file... I said "player-specific save file", which obviously means in the player's data directory to a save file. Effectively instead of it being in data/unique-items (which is where "unique 1" floors are saved for non-instance maps), it would be player-specific.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 05:30:14 pm »

Ahh, I see! You also mentioned that houses will replace apartments. Could you elaborate on that?

M.
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 05:58:14 pm »

:okthen:

Just need a house agency with a unique house in each major location, such as Asteria, Brynknot, Clearhaven, etc. Then apartments can be removed, since houses would be superior, as they would allow travel between each house you own (through Everlink). Of course, the lower-level towns would have smaller, simpler and cheaper houses.
Offline ddhanna
Main Server Mod
Contributor

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011, 05:37:13 am »

Everlink....... might be some ideas for that.....
if i am understaning you...... a player will be able to travel from town to town through portals in Everlink. my idea is that in order for one to be able use a portal (from the new house they just bought), they would have to complete a quest (unique to that area) in order for the new house to have a working portal to Everlink.

Just a thought.

Ddhanna
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: