linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  Support
linktree Topic: Atrinik client 2.0 fails to run 0on my new PC
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atrinik client 2.0 fails to run 0on my new PC  (Read 7207 times)
Offline Floozy

« on: March 15, 2011, 01:41:07 pm »

Hiya

Installed client 2.0 from https://www.atrinik.org/download/atrinik-client-2.0.exe, and when I try to run it either from the desktop icon or directly Atrinik Client 2.0\Atrinik.exe I get a message from the Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library:
This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information.

Its a brand new PC, so hopefully everything is as up-to-date as can be.

HELP!!!!!!

P.S. I think I've found out why - looking at stdout.txt:

[Error] sound_init(): Couldn't set sound device. Reason: DirectSoundCreate: No audio device found
[Info] 
Fatal error encountered. Exiting...
So because they haven't delivered the speakers yet (they were out of stock) I still can't play :( - why is an audio device absolutely necessary?  I know all the tunes anyway!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:58:48 pm by Floozy »  Logged
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 01:59:37 pm »

What OS and architecture (32 or 64 bit)?

I see... You should not encounter that error unless you don't have a configured sound card (or any sound card at all for that matter). Speakers should not be necessary to configure a sound card...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 02:05:36 pm by Cleo »  Logged
Offline Floozy

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 02:06:57 pm »

Window 7 Home Premium 64-bit

But I think I know why already - you were pro'lly posting your question as I updated the report.
Offline Floozy

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 02:24:20 pm »

I know there is suposed to be a sound card installed - a 5.1 "variety" as discussed elsewhere in the forums.

When I try to configure sounds, for example, I get an error message like:

The speaker, headset or headphone is unplugged

If I ask the problem troubleshooter I get the same message.

So I cannot "configure" my sound card ...
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 02:47:54 pm »

Weird... I am not familiar with Windows but this is the first time I hear of a computer refusing to use its sound card, even without speakers. Maybe a driver thing...

Don't you have headphones or earbuds handy?

If I remember correctly requiring an audio device is an SDL thing that is not possible to workaround...
Offline Floozy

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:18:27 pm »

Nope - my CD player and headphones went missing during the last move - I think the fogies may have thrown them away.
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:57:47 pm »

Plugging in a 3.5mm plug/cord (stereo cord for example, but not a mono cord) might fool it (some TV sets and monitors come with a few), but apart from that, I don't know if you can do anything apart from waiting for new speakers. :(
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:04:46 pm by Cleo »  Logged
Offline Floozy

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 04:18:26 pm »

Okay

I've just spent 1/2 hour crawling around disassembling a set of speakers from another computer then plugging them into my new one.

As soon as I did that it told me that I had plugged a device into the audio jack!

And Atrinik launched !!!!!

I unplugged the speakers (getting a message that I had), tried to launch Atrinik - same failure message as before.

Plugged the speakers back in - Atrinik works again.  Turning off the speaker master unit but leaving the plugs in it also worked - you are absolutely correct about "fooling it" then.

I think you need to look into this otherwise other Windows 7 users may have a problem, otherwise please just bear this in mind should anyone else complain !!!

Love Floozy

P.S. as soon as I had submitted this from my laptop it died again from overheating!!!  It must have been 'cos Atrinik was playing (on this new PC) heeheeheehee

Well done Ghost - please can you testtaking the speaker lead out and trying to launch the program and tell us if it works
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:23:42 pm by Floozy »  Logged
Offline Ghost

Do not read this or you will go bli
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 04:20:59 pm »

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I have not yet encountered any problems relating to what you have.

[edit] Didn't realize that you found the solution. Although as soon as I got my laptop, I had some speakers I used... they kept spazzing and I threw them...[/edit]
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:22:38 pm by Ghost »  Logged

Collector of Chilis and Gems/Pearls/Nuggets of all size and type
Offline Floozy

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 04:24:38 pm »

Sorry, I meant a new reply - please can you test unplugging your speakers and seeing if Atrinik works?

<edit> Oh - I remember - laptops have inbuilt speakers! We need someone else with external ones instead of you Ghost </edit>
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:26:31 pm by Floozy »  Logged
Offline Ghost

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 04:25:57 pm »

I have built in speakers. The worked even without my speakers. And like I said my old ones don't work because I threw them away.

[edit] I think it all depends on what company you got your laptop from. I got my from Compaq, and from the looks of it they have built in speakers above the keyboard. My mom and I have completely alike laptops and she has built-in speakers...[/edit]

Offline Ghost

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:35:48 pm »

What company did you get your laptop from Floozy? I only trust Compaq because they are really reliable and I haven't had a single system error.. it hasn't shut down on me besides when I don't get my recharge cord in time.

Offline Floozy

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 04:55:19 pm »

As mentioned elsewhere its an Acer Aspire 7720G
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 07:27:19 pm »

Personally I like ASUS a lot - my ASUS laptop is 3-4 years old now and usually powered on 24/7 and haven't had a single problem yet. :)
Offline Floozy

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 07:39:40 pm »

Why is it that people keep telling me that Acer is bad long after I bought Acer, and that other brands are good long after I decided that laptops suck?

Typical MEN
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: