linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  General Chat
linktree Topic: Dying SUCKS
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dying SUCKS  (Read 3181 times)
Offline Floozy

« on: March 12, 2011, 06:00:10 pm »

Grrrr

Recently my laptop has been overheating and suddenly shutting down - despite Cleo's efforts to advise me how to reduce this in the Atrinik client it has been getting worse and worse.  Today for the second time it shut down while I was in the middle of a fight and I was back in my apartment when it had cooled down - having DIED :(:(

As the cowboys who built my laptop obviously soldered and glued top to bottom so that it cannot be taken apart without breaking something, I can't even check to see if there is anything which can be done :(

So I had to buy a new computer - and not a laptop this time - they suck.

Love Floozy

P.S. I MAY be a bit happier on Monday when its s'posed to be delivered
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 08:29:55 am by Floozy »  Logged
Offline ddhanna
Main Server Mod
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 04:32:23 am »

most common problem with laptops is that the exhaust port and the fan slots get plugged with dust.... if you take canned air and blow it into the exhaust port, it will loosen up the dust, then blow it into the fan slots under the laptop.... repeat until you get no more dust coming out of the laptop.....

(this is if you are not using it on your lap and blocking the fan ports, if you are using it that way........ yes they are called laptops, but don't use them on your lap...... :P)
Offline Floozy

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 08:43:39 am »

Hi Ddh

Its not your fault really - I have removed that, even know Cleo know he gets the blame for everything including when I get a zit.

I've tried blowing the dust away several times.  If there is any dust I guess it is pro'lly clogging the actual fans themselves, and as I can't figure out how to get the stupid thing open I can't get to those.

I looked up the problem on my specific machine (Acer Aspire 7720G) and there are quotes like it being "unfit for purpose" due to overheating.  I agree with them.  In their experiences (having spent lots of time money and effort trying to get the problem fixed) the only thing to do was to get a new machine - which is what I am doing.

I wish I'd know this before buying it - still, hindsight is perfect, as they say

I can still work on my guide until the new machine arrives - I don't get killed if it powers off when in the middle of doing that.

btw I put supports underneath to raise my laptop slightly off the desk which increases the airflow following one of the suggestions about overheating.

Love Floozy
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 07:37:53 pm »

That certainly sucks :shock:. All notebook users that I know off complain about the same trouble. I haven't had any problems with my new pc yet (but I've got 6 fans installed in my ATX tower :smug:). What's your new PC going to be? :o
~Kiana~
Offline Floozy

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 10:55:39 pm »

Hi Kiana

Well, I haven't given the new-to-be PC a name yet, so its still called "it".

I've pro'lly made the same mistake as last time with the laptop - choosing a relatively cheap but nevertheless sexy spec. I went for a Neptune GT4 tower which has 4 GB and Intel dual processor (it may be best to go back to Intel 'cos AMD and I have now had 2 bad experiences). It feature all the usual bells-and-whistles - except maybe as you are a sound expert it pro'lly isn't up to your high standards (only 5.1). I get Windows 7 which I don't know but hopfully its a bit like XP and everything before!

But for a package costing considerably less than 300 pounds (and I think also less than 300 euros at the current rate) it's not horribly expensive.

You mention fans - but I am sure you have lots and lots and lots of them - NiteStar, Idi, Ddh, Cleo (on a good day) and many others :)

Love Floozy
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 12:44:11 am »

Uhh, Neptune GT4 seems like a good choice, although the first one I found on Google was offered for £209.00 Incuding delivery & VAT :?. 5.1 is very common (it's actually speaker out + microphone in + line out at the back and headphone out + mic in at front), basically it's 6 channels. I've got 16 (analog) channels so I guess you're right about that one :mrgreen:. Windows 7 should be nice, at least it's way better than Vista :P. I wish you lots of hapiness with your new PC, may you live :D
~Kiana~
Offline Floozy

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 08:57:04 am »

:) Thank you

Yes - 209 for the box plus periferals plus VAT and it still came under 300 pounds (and euros)
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 09:08:53 am »

most common problem with laptops is that the exhaust port and the fan slots get plugged with dust.... if you take canned air and blow it into the exhaust port, it will loosen up the dust, then blow it into the fan slots under the laptop.... repeat until you get no more dust coming out of the laptop.....

(this is if you are not using it on your lap and blocking the fan ports, if you are using it that way........ yes they are called laptops, but don't use them on your lap...... :P)

Hrm, this is strange -- thought I'd posted pretty much the same response (blowing air into the ports to clean out the dust & gunk that gets jammed up in the fans). Also, if you're using an Intel CPU, you can download and use the Thermal Analysis Tool to configure the power-saving and thermal options, such  as throttling the CPU speed when temperature reaches a certain point or throttling the fan at lower temperatures, etc.

Oh, and you can use your laptop in your lap; just don't block the intake/exhaust ports. If that's not possible, then get a cooling or chill mat to place your laptop onto.

Strange?: Yes you posted that, after Ddhanna posted exactly the same and after Floozy had already answered Ddhanna. ~Kiana~
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 11:34:55 am by Kiana »  Logged
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 11:34:31 am »

:) Thank you

Yes - 209 for the box plus periferals plus VAT and it still came under 300 pounds (and euros)

That's nice :) It's waaay cheaper than my previous PC, which had only 512MB memory and vista :grumble:. Has it been delivered already? :excited: (aww no such smiley)
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2011, 11:46:39 am »

Strange?: Yes you posted that, after Ddhanna posted exactly the same and after Floozy had already answered Ddhanna. ~Kiana~

So you removed my post? Ah ... well, I was multi-tasking so I'd half-written it, came back and finished writing it so when it posted those responses had most likely appeared but I hadn't known about them. :P
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: