linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  Support
linktree Topic: Programming Languages
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Programming Languages  (Read 7612 times)
Offline NiteStar

« on: March 06, 2011, 01:30:07 pm »

It would be helpful to know what languages Atrinik is coded in. In viewing the "Game Info" pages, I could find only that the scripts are written in Python.

The other language(s) that Atrinik is programmed in should be listed somewhere on the "Development" pages.
Offline Floozy

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 01:36:48 pm »

My Dear NiteStar, the source code files for the Atrinik Server program are listed in https://server.docs.atrinik.org/files.html - the file extensions should tell you the language each file contains.
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 01:45:42 pm »

My Dear NiteStar, the source code files for the Atrinik Server program are listed in https://server.docs.atrinik.org/files.html - the file extensions should tell you the language each file contains.

My Dear Floozy:

Details for file extension: H - Header - Usually used by a C Compiler but Java also has been known to use .H as a header include file.

So is it just C, or Java? Since there are .C files as well, or are some of them Java?

What's the problem with a simple statement saying that "Atrinik is programmed in such & such a language, with scripting of Atrinik maps written in Python, and" etc.?

Why make users who wish to find out this information have to work to find it?
Offline Floozy

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 01:51:05 pm »

Heehee - well, if you wanted to know because you are a programmer and could help with the development you would immediately realise that as all the other files are .c or .py then the .h files must be C header files - otherwise there would be .js files there!

If you just want to know because you are incurably curious, but don't know how to find out what programming language is being used you have a good point - people should help you out by spending time documenting what is obvious to them :):):):):)

Sorry Mr NiteStar but you are being *really* difficult !!!!
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 04:20:47 pm »

Atrinik at Launchpad.net
Programming Languages:
    C, Python, Perl, Java, PHP

~Kiana~
Offline Floozy

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 04:27:53 pm »

Hi Kiana

In-game quote from Mr NiteStar about 1/2 hour ago:

"I had to google my arse off to find the info on launchpad"

So I conclude that he already knows the answer, but just wants life to be made incredibly simple for him :)

Maybe he has a Nanny :)

Love Floozy
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 04:37:22 pm »

I copied that link from the "Home" page.
It's listed under the "Developing" header.
(Right below "Report bugs in the Atrinik Bugzilla" ;) )
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 04:41:11 pm »

I copied that link from the "Home" page.
It's listed under the "Developing" header.
(Right below "Report bugs in the Atrinik Bugzilla" ;) )
~Kiana~

Kind of hidden, Kiana -- would be nice to have it in the "Development" section of the web site, as well. Would save a lot of time....

Oh and BTW, I told Floozy in-game that I'd found the answer, after spending nearly 30 minutes hunting it down under Google, to answer a new player's question as to which languages were being used to program the game. He's a JAVA programmer with 10+ years experience and perhaps interested in contributing.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 05:10:31 pm »

...would be nice to have it in the "Development" section of the web site, as well...

Added.

10+ years sounds like a lot of experience in Java. Atrinik itself doesn't use Java AFAIK (it is possible for client scripts, ..). However, I'm sure Ragnor would appreciate help with Gridarta, the Atrinik Editor. Because it is a third-party editor, it would be great to have a developer on our team with knowledge of both Atrinik and Java. :)
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 05:12:46 pm »

I think he said 15 years in Java and about 8 years before that in C...but he hasn't done anything in C in 15+ years so he's not really looking to work in it. Just hope he comes back...

Thanks for adding the info to the site. :)
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 05:14:51 pm »

You're welcome.
~Kiana~
Offline Gramlath
Developer

Laser is not difficult...
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 08:19:40 pm »

I'll confirm that Kiana is correct and clarify the specifics:
The server and client are written in C, exclusively.  The scripts used on maps are Python as well as some of the helper scripts (such as collect.py).  Perl is mainly for helper scripts.  The website is PHP.  The map editor is written in Java and maintained separately by the Gridarta folks.  Anything else, I'm not sure about.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:23:20 pm by Gramlath »  Logged
Offline Floozy

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 09:10:11 pm »

Floozy's Guide is written in Floozy script - which produces html from Excel spreadsheets
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 02:29:03 am »

Floozy's Guide is written in Floozy script - which produces html from Excel spreadsheets

Floozy Script?  :roll:
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 04:26:20 am »

Just to add... the new bot also uses AIML, and there are some XML files (mostly related to config for Gridarta). There are also various shell and a few batch scripts over the place. The client's scripting interface supports any language that can read/write, though there are only a few scripts available at this time.

And I'm sure Ragnor would welcome patches for Gridarta. :D
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: