linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Development  >  Suggestions
linktree Topic: Character Creation Guide
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Character Creation Guide  (Read 6898 times)
Offline NiteStar

« on: March 06, 2011, 09:27:13 am »

I disagree with Cleo but clearly I've become a pain again and this time, I really won't be making any more bug reports. To hell with it. But while it's up there:

http://bugzilla.atrinik.org/show_bug.cgi?id=225
Offline Gramlath
Developer

Laser is not difficult...
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 09:36:37 am »

His decision seems reasonable to me.  The client already does give descriptions of stats and races and there is the entire Tutorial Island.  Not sure what more you're asking for here.
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 09:40:24 am »

His decision seems reasonable to me.  The client already does give descriptions of stats and races and there is the entire Tutorial Island.  Not sure what more you're asking for here.

Some people like to check things out on-line before they try out a game; they like to read about things before jumping in. Others are the exact opposite, they'd rather have all the information in-game than have to look something up on the web.

Having the information available in both places appeases both of these gamer-types and widens the appeal of the game.
Offline Gramlath
Developer

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2011, 09:50:50 am »

How was anyone supposed to get that from the report you posted?  I certainly had no clue this was what you meant.

Still, it seems a bit to me like we'd end up doing something like:
Half-elf female
It's like a half elf male, only female.  [Insert blurb about half-elf race]
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:37 am »

How was anyone supposed to get that from the report you posted?  I certainly had no clue this was what you meant.

Still, it seems a bit to me like we'd end up doing something like:
Half-elf female
It's like a half elf male, only female.  [Insert blurb about half-elf race]

Hrm, and I thought it would have been obvious, that there's no character creation guide on-line (I never said anything about there not being one in-game). Of course, what's obvious to one person or a few isn't necessarily the case to everyone else, is it?

I think the gender could be left out & just have the "Half-Elf [inert blurb about half-elf race]" as sufficient. It could include info about deities, racial benefits, racial penalties, common classes (perhaps a bonus being offered when a certain race is a certain class if that ever gets implemented, etc.).
Offline Gramlath
Developer

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:23 am »

Well, the thing about it is.  The only racial benefits and penalties that exist at present are the stat bonuses given at character creation.  The user can plainly see these by themselves.

As for deities and classes, these are the result of in-game decisions of players.  The explanation of classes is given already at the class chooser.  The explanation for deities is already given by the temples (and, at present, all deities work practically the same...)

This might be a good suggestion in the future when there are racial-specific things, but at present I don't see this being much of a benefit.
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2011, 10:08:36 am »

Having all of the information available out-of-game (i.e., on the web), with perhaps even a chart to make visualization of differences more readily discernible, would allow players to make more informed decisions.

I know that some of the choices I made during character creation, I wouldn't have made if given the chance to do so again with the knowledge I've gained since playing.
Offline evilasa
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2011, 10:10:01 am »

Um, I think what Nitestar wants is a guide to what the variable stats actually do. I was thinking of doing something like this myself, and have mentioned it to Floozy. It might be something we come up with in the future, but not certain yet.
Offline Gramlath
Developer

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2011, 10:15:34 am »

This seems more like third party documentation to me.  Strategy guides are not the purpose of official game documentation which merely tells you what the stuff is, not strategies on how you should use it.  Evilasa's got a good idea, I think.
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2011, 10:17:08 am »

This seems more like third party documentation to me.  Strategy guides are not the purpose of official game documentation which merely tells you what the stuff is, not strategies on how you should use it.  Evilasa's got a good idea, I think.

Which is why I had suggested it be put into Floozy's Guide.  :mrgreen: (even in the bug report I wrote up)
Offline Gramlath
Developer

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2011, 10:22:36 am »

Yes, but Floozy isn't doing this officially.  This is the BugZilla for the "official code and documentation," not the beneficial works of interested players.
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2011, 10:29:52 am »

Which is why I posted it here. :P

EDIT: I can't be expected to know everything and when I'm wrong I admit it. I initially posted this suggestion in the wrong forum but corrected that by posting here. :)
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 10:31:23 am by NiteStar »  Logged
Offline Gramlath
Developer

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 10:34:52 am »

Ah, okay.  Yeah, this seems a better place for the topic.
Offline Floozy

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2011, 10:47:23 am »

Gentlemen

I have added a page called "Stats" - does this satidfy your requirements?

Love Floozy
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2011, 11:15:01 am »

I think what Asa mentioned is more along the lines of what I was thinking about -- he's read my mind & interpreted for you folk. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: