linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Atrinik News  >  Developers' Corner
linktree Topic: World Viewer
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: World Viewer  (Read 7564 times)
Online Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« on: November 13, 2009, 09:47:44 pm »

Several days ago I implemented a script that fully renders all Atrinik maps to use as online world viewer, or simply to create a world map overview image.

You can see the world viewer in action here:
http://worldviewer.atrinik.org/

If you know the map path to the map you want to see you can see that as well, not just the world, like this:
http://worldviewer.atrinik.org/?map=tutorial
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2010, 09:52:30 pm »

Suggestion: "Sticky" this post?
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 11:32:00 pm »

Why sticky? There's a page for it. A good suggestion would be to update it :)
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 01:07:24 am »

well b/c ideally it should be accessible via the menu .... not have to go searching through the forums to find it. Stickying it would make it stand out a bit more, that's why. It's something a lot of newbies have been asking about.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 08:48:11 pm »

Didn't I already say somewhere that it's on the development page? Accessible via the Game Info menu.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 10:05:13 pm »

Didn't I already say somewhere that it's on the development page? Accessible via the Game Info menu.
~Kiana~

No, you didn't. You said there was a page for it, and that link took me directly to the map.

It's counterintuitive for folks to look on the Development page for this, though -- it really should be moved (or copied, if you will) to one of the guide pages for players in the "Game Info" tab. Why would a player look under "Development Information" for anything, let alone a map of the world. Players will expect to see an overview of the world in something that's player-related, not dev-related.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 10:26:35 pm »

Who says it's a bad thing that players don't expect it to be there? Unlike you say, it IS a dev-resource. A 1:1 detailed map in full light is quite too spoiling to be easily available for players. Which is a good reason for not updating it too often, considering the regular newly added regions.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2010, 08:39:39 am »

When I looked I didn't see 1:1 detail; I see only the overview ... ?
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2010, 09:25:50 am »

Try the links in the first post of this topic.. (Also linked to from the page.)
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 09:34:49 am »

I'm looking at the overview map that's found in the "Development" section under "Game Info" specifically, this page: https://www.atrinik.org/cms/uploads/overview.jpg

That doesn't provide a great deal of detail; it's just an overview. You can't really zoom in & see with great clarity what's there. Plus, this is just a map of the world, not of dungeons and what not. IMHO should be linked from a page where players would expect to find it...
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 09:37:52 am »

That's not a page, that's the image linked to from this page. The actual page that's available from the development page in the game info menu. The 1:1 world overview, which can also show dungeons, is the one specifically linked to in (the first post of) this topic. The world overview is not a feature specifically made for players, it is a resource for developers.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:36 am »

Right, and that image is what you get when you click on the image from the page you just mentioned. That image would be nice for players to be able to see, as discussed in other posts.

I don't get it, is there a miscommunication or something? You have something -- an image -- that players have asked for (a world map) already here. Why is there such resistance to linking this map from a player-oriented page (under game info, player guide perhaps)? Just b/c it's used as a dev tool doesn't mean it can't also be linked from the player page, especially as that image that's produced doesn't show such intrinsic detail as the devs would be able to see.
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 09:45:09 am »

Quote from: page/world_overview
This is the Atrinik world overview. Click the image for a bigger picture or click here for an even bigger one.
To see all details there is also an interactive world viewer available.

That's what the page shows. with underneath that the image you linked to.
~Kiana~
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:42:50 am »

What about something like this as a player world map? Of course it would need to be updated.
~Kiana~

* playermap.png (80.54 KB, 894x436 - viewed 431 times.)
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 01:38:04 pm »

how about if ya want to see the game page LOGIN and look at it, whats all this debate about the World View, its already there USE IT, then again anyone thsts spent more than 1 months in game has seen where every thing is at.

stop looking and start building

I am not retreating! i am simply attacking in a different Direction!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: