linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Development  >  Graphics and Arches
linktree Topic: "Assembly Helper" portion of Crossmagi - updated screen shot
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Assembly Helper" portion of Crossmagi - updated screen shot  (Read 9211 times)
Offline JLittle
Contributor

« on: August 31, 2010, 04:05:27 am »

I've been working on the "Assembly Helper" portion of Crossmagi as of late.  With a little more, it would able to dump the images for inclusion in game.  I however still will pursue having the whole 'drawing on the fly' included so that we could have characters with different looks/equipment showing. That however is a long way off and many hurdles would have to be crossed...

It will be ready in 2+ years... :mrgreen:   This was the last "bad idea" I was working on for Angelion before life dragged me away.

The top row shows the "base" for an orc, kobold, drow, wood elf, human and illithid.  The next row I decorated them with some items.  The graph on the right shows the "rotation" for that part, the 4 lines represent the 4 phases of the animation.

Here is a piece of the "scene file" where I describe what the drow elf is wearing. The # at the first part of a line is a comment marker where I blanked something out
:
Code: [Select]
MOB: Figure Drow2
COPYOF: Base Elf Drow
RIGHT_WEAPON:    ./weapon/one handed/sword-1.png
#LEFT_WEAPON: ./shield/buckler-1.png
BELT:           ./clothing/waist/belt-gold-1.png
#KILT:       ./clothing/waist/kilt-green-1.png
CHEST_ARMOR:     ./clothing/torso/shirt-green-1.png
RIGHT_BOOT:      ./clothing/feet/boot-1.png
LEFT_BOOT:       ./clothing/feet/boot-1.png
RIGHT_SLEVE:     ./clothing/upper_arm/sleve-grey-1.png
LEFT_SLEVE:     ./clothing/upper_arm/sleve-grey-1.png
SHOULDER_RIGHT: ./clothing/shoulder/green-striped-shoulder-right-1.png
SHOULDER_LEFT:  ./clothing/shoulder/green-striped-shoulder-left-1.png
CAPE:                   ./clothing/cape/cape-red-1.png
CROWN:   ./clothing/head/crown-gold-2.png
UPPER_LEFT_PANTS:  ./clothing/Legs/pants-green-upper-left-1.png
UPPER_RIGHT_PANTS:  ./clothing/Legs/pants-green-upper-right-1.png

END

BTW:  You can clearly see my lack of art skill on the Orc's back.   The "helmet" that I just tried to make today looks like a cap.  This would look a whole lot better if I could draw.

Check out the SVN for the images that got put together to make this animation.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 04:08:20 am by JLittle »  Logged
Offline ddhanna
Main Server Mod
Contributor

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 05:52:43 am »

good idea. would be really nice to dress your player with different items...

keep up the good work
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2010, 06:58:36 am »

This is great work, JLittle -- so glad you've come over and started contributing to here w/ your work in Crossmagi! I can try to get some more people involved in coding (perhaps doing the dressing items on the fly thing to cut down on the 2+ years timeline?) if you'd like, via my social networking efforts?
Offline JLittle
Contributor

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:09 am »

Well, as much as I would absolutely LOVE to have other people start working with this to add more variety.

Something relatively easy to do is resizing the shields already in the SVN.  Right now they are HUGE compared to the guys above, but they fit giants great.

I would also like to have a discusion about the design before we have a mass of new graphics.

For instance:

1. As you can see in the above example, the drow,elf, human & Illithid are the same size.  This is done so that the other items fit.  The orc is too wide, but then again, he is a fat orc... but either way, what do we do here?  What about "strong, muscular" humans?   Do we have 1 size of armor or 2 ?  How about the Kobold - he is really small - but then again, we might introduce halflings.  There are also "giants" like the fire giants & ice giants.  Dwarfs should have the same size upper bodies, just short legs so that at least saves us there.

2. What do you think about the height of the Human sized guys?  If they are too short, now is the time to make them taller before we have a whole library of things to change.

--------

Notes about the assembly helper:

The program works like animation helper in that it keeps checking the source graphic file and if it sees that it has changed, it reloads that graphic.  This makes it easy to edit things and see how they look in real time.

I have it worked out on my XP machine such that I right click on the "scene.txt" file and choose "Open with assembly helper" and XP launches the executable with the "scene.txt" file as a parameter.  Unfortunately, I do not have the program checking to see if the scene.txt file has changed. But is much easier than trying to do it from a command line.  In order to find the graphics, it checks an envirment variable for the path.   

Anyone know how to do this in linux?  /usr/local/bin/assembly_helper %1    ??

Offline Gramlath
Developer

Laser is not difficult...
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 11:33:18 pm »

Quote from: jlittle
Anyone know how to do this in linux?  /usr/local/bin/assembly_helper %1    ??

If I understand what you're asking, you will either need to get familiar with the shared-mime-info package or find out how to get to your Window Manager's association config utility is and set it up there.
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2010, 12:27:24 am »

if i can make a request? Gnolls! we only have 1 Gnoll mob in game, hmmm and maybe Minotaur mobs? *Grins Evilly* Ideas to think on

I am not retreating! i am simply attacking in a different Direction!
Offline JLittle
Contributor

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2010, 04:56:34 pm »

As requested... Well almost - this is a work in progress.   The artwork came from the image of the gnoll we had.  I added the shield and axe in the "assembly helper library" as well.

I still need to make him into a chicken walker.
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2010, 04:50:55 pm »

hmmm Gnoll warlock, cook, hunter.....instead of pure 'warrior" types? i was thinking of making a Gnoll mapset, but had to change over to Drow cause of a lack of different mob type for Gnoll.

but thoses do look nice, keep up the good work! you make the mobs I'll build some maps!

btw, any requests on a mapset you would like to see in game?

im currently in a holding pattern on my last mapset till Kiana gets done with the new Newbie Island mapset she has created.

idicus

Offline JLittle
Contributor

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2010, 04:20:40 pm »

I had to make/copy a chef's hat and cleaver, but here is a gnoll cook.
Offline Floozy

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 04:44:44 pm »

Interesting "bare bottom" cooking then  :D
Offline JLittle
Contributor

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 05:11:00 pm »

Well, they are gnolls.

Here is a warlock.  I'm severely limited by the amount of clothing I've created. Also, I need to change where he holds the staff, but for now:

Hmm... my export to gif is not working well.  The staff looks perfect when it is displaying on screen. I wonder if I'm hitting a limit on colors in a gif..
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2010, 09:56:05 pm »

sweet! thats some stuff i can work with, thanks bro

Offline JLittle
Contributor

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 12:32:33 am »

Here is an archer.  I'm seriously limited by the amount of "clothes" for him to wear.  I had to create the animation for using a bow as well.  Now that I have a "shooting a bow" animation, any of the models can use it.

So here he is... with red pants and leather gloves.

BTW: This guy is put together using pieces like these - the black borders with the dots specify where the pieces are to be linked together and possibly rotated around.

HEAD:  TORSO:  UPPER_ARM_LEFT:

Here is a view to the SVN on sourceforege: http://crossmagi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/crossmagi/Assembly_Helper/Humanoid/gnoll/

Offline Floozy

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 07:19:50 pm »

I vote he should be almost naked as he is - why spend enormous amounts of time clothing a mob unnecessarily?
Offline Ghost

Do not read this or you will go bli
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2010, 02:11:24 am »

Hrm, maybe a request for Calvary... If you'd show me how this works nd everything I might get the hang of it. :)
I'd be glad to help. Making a Calvary would be simple by puting a mob on the horse mob?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 10:03:27 pm by _ghost_ »  Logged

Collector of Chilis and Gems/Pearls/Nuggets of all size and type
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: