linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Development  >  Suggestions
linktree Topic: Blindly grabbing food to stave off starvation
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blindly grabbing food to stave off starvation  (Read 4826 times)
Offline NiteStar

« on: August 11, 2010, 08:47:44 am »

Currently, when one's food has reached 0, the character "blindly grab for a bite of food." If there's food in one's inventory, it's eaten (randomly, I suppose.) However, if the food is in one's inventory in a container, it's not found. Doesn't make sense that if one is grabbing for food, one wouldn't remember they had some in a container and start opening up (maybe dumping random items on the ground from the container) containers to find the food they'd stashed away inside.

Similarly, 'twould be nice if players could grab for food that's lying on the ground on squares they're standing on (or adjacent ones), especially as it would introduce some interesting game-play wherein players could place poisonous food on the tile a player is standing on they know to be AFK and starving ....
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 10:20:13 am »

Currently, when you grab for a bite of food, it takes the first edible object in your inventory (not randomly).
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:36 am »

OK, but what about my other idea, that if you have food in a container, the game should search through each item in inventory until either it comes across a piece of food (perhaps contained in a container) or reaches the end of inventory?
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 10:29:23 am »

That way it would eat the poisonous food you've hidden in a bag in your inventory to prevent you from starving a lot faster.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 11:26:45 am »

Sorry but the 2nd half of that sentence doesn't make sense to me?
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:03:30 pm »

If it would check containers in your inventory, can't 'hide' poisonous or unidentified food anymore. When you eat this food you usually die faster.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 12:27:52 pm »

Right, well I said that it would be better to do that....more realistic that way! Did you mis-read the original post?
Offline Floozy

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 12:30:03 pm »

Hi

Suggestion: if you could move stuff around in your inventory (which would help visually allowing all rings to be kept next to each other, for example), the code that searched the inventory would find the "hidden" containers last if the player has any intelligence!

Hope this helps
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 12:30:42 pm »

...more realistic that way!

Would you blindly grab for food inside a container in your inventory in real?

Similarly, 'twould be nice if players could grab for food that's lying on the ground on squares they're standing on (or adjacent ones), especially as it would introduce some interesting game-play wherein players could place poisonous food on the tile a player is standing on they know to be AFK and starving ....

Why would that be nice? It would be involuntary player killing. I'd ban you if I see you doing that outside a pvp map.

Suggestion: if you could move stuff around in your inventory...

Unfortunately this won't be possible in the near future. It would be nice for the DWC though. :)

~Kiana~
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 12:34:07 pm by Kiana »  Logged
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 10:03:29 pm »

ive got a simple solution to it all, dont login and then go AFK for hours, if you login to the game, then PLAY the GAME! whats worse than logging into a game when no one else is online? logging in to find 2-3 players that completely ignore you because they are all in Skype, searching the web, or in other IM messengers....makes new players think "well the players in this game arent friendly at ALL!" Logout.....

I am not retreating! i am simply attacking in a different Direction!
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 10:06:54 pm »

If the new players to a game can figure out who's in the game by using the /who command then they should be able to figure out that players might be /afk by the [AFK] denotation in the /who list. :p

I've only starved to death once; I usually have enough food on me to prevent that from happening.

In letting players grab poisonous food or food in containers, it would give great impetus to them keeping enough food in their inventories to prevent starvation. :p
Offline Floozy

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:55 am »

Just a Floozy thought on this topic

We can already do some sorting of our inventories - by putting something into a container and taking it out again it then appears as the "top-left" item in the inventory.

When we "blindly" grab for food - does it look at this "top-left" position first or the "bottom-right"?

If top-left: while carrying lots of unidentified food, its obviously better to sort the identified non-poisonous food as above before going AFK. This means we no longer "blindly" grab the food while there is enough identified food in the right place.

If bottom-right: simply store your journey food in your inventory (not in a bag), so this with always be "grabbed" before any unidentified food you pick up later.

Kind regards
Floozy
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 09:34:03 am by Floozy »  Logged
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 05:47:01 pm »

The first object in your inventory is located at the top-left corner. This is where the check for something edible starts. It's advised to put some identified food there before going afk. You can also collect your unidentified and poisonous food in containers.
~Kiana~
Offline Floozy

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 06:40:49 pm »

Thank you very much for the clarification Kiana.  That means that the code which looks for food must check the last item picked up first (the nth inventory object, in fact) as opposed to the very first item the player has ever kept (in C this would be object[0], i.e. the 1st object stored in the array).

I wonder which of the two is more logical (please, I don't want to start a "fork" from this thread!!!)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 06:48:23 pm by Floozy »  Logged
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2010, 07:02:22 pm »

Do you want to "turn it around"? I.e. check for the first item you picked up instead of the last? That would cause more of a problem because you'd have to reorder everything in your inventory when you get new food. While as when you have loads of stuff in your inventory, you can take the safe food and put it in front of your inventory at once.
~Kiana~
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: