linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  Support
linktree Topic: atrinik client slow load/fail
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: atrinik client slow load/fail  (Read 5394 times)
Offline idicus
Developer

« on: August 05, 2010, 06:59:59 pm »

since last night at 1 am when i changed from local server for map checking to the game client server.....the client loaded, but when it says Welcome to Atrinik and the game is suppose to pop up it slows down, my comp goes crazy and then a window pops up and says Virtual memory Low! (thats after 5 minutes After i should be in game)

i already changed Virtual memory to max....it it still does it....any ideas?

I am not retreating! i am simply attacking in a different Direction!
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 07:18:27 pm »

Set the virtual memory to automatic.
Try restarting your computer.
If that helps, it was probably caused by leftover stuff in the memory.
Virtual memory should be used for programmes that are inactive.
It's a file on your disk and thus slows down your computer.
~Kiana~
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 07:54:12 pm »

deleted client, set virtual memory to automatic, rebooted ect ect ect.....i cant get into game...it says the ***Welcome to Atrinik*** and the game screen should pop in but it doesnt, my comp starting going 90 to nothing and after 2-3 minutes it says virtual memory is too low....... no idea what suddenly changed that makes me unable to play atrinik.....im going to see if i can load up Dia to backcheck this problem

Offline NiteStar

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 08:03:06 pm »

Install more RAM (srsly).

Reboot.

RTOOS.

See if you can get a P-4 w/ at least 1GB RAM (http:://www.freecycle.org and the "free" section of craigslist might help ya there...)

Reboot. :P
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 08:44:52 pm »

went to Dia and it loaded up fast.....i try here again and same thing happens as last time, it hangs at going into game after saying ***Welcome to Atrinik*** and then Nothing.....except the comp system busy light comes on and then 2-3 minutes later it tells me virtual memory is low.....which is BS cause ive changed nothing on my comp, i checked memory to make sure i didnt burn one out, i still have 512mb memory, 900hmz compact comp......did someone changed something in the game client?

this just started at 1am this morning and now i cant get into game....im about to try and load up the Local server to see if i can get into my mapset...if that works i know its something in the game thats screwed up and not my comp

Offline NiteStar

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 08:48:58 pm »

Run scandisk (make sure you don't have any errors on your HDD), then re-install the game. Possible that your game has somehow become corrupted (possibly due to a disk error, or possibly the anti-cleo persona that logged in was using an exploit but unlikely).

Actually Idicus that reminds me, you did make a change: you activated your /ignore list by putting that character on it. Maybe there's a memory hole bug with the /ignore list?
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 09:24:33 pm »

yep i put that little asshole on my /ignore list.....all 3 of the "characters" he made i put on /ignore list, first time ive ever had to use /ignore command.

cant figure it out, i can go into everything BUT atrinik and atrinik local server, i cant even check out my mapset now, something is seriously wrong, im about to change comps and see if i can get online with it and into game

Offline NiteStar

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 09:28:52 pm »

Try a complete reinstall -- UNinstall the game first, then reinstall it. But run the checkdisk (with the /f switch) to ensure that there isn't any corruption on your HDD. The system you're using is over 10 years old, which is ancient for a computer. Would be quite surprised if there weren't some kind of physical issue with the HDD at this point (especially if it's from the original system and it's >10 years old itself) that isn't causing some sort of corruption on your system.

Good luck, keep us posted!

(BTW, I've seen you log in & out of the game a few times now that I've been awake (but not for long! :P ) so you are actually connecting; whether or not you can see it on your end is another matter entirely. :/ )
Offline Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 09:40:17 pm »

If it's an issue with the ignore list or some other setting, reinstalling the game will do nothing; the settings are stored in the Application Data directory, which, on Windows XP is typically stored in C:\Documents and Settings\{user}\Application Data. There you should find .atrinik directory, and inside that, 1.1.1 directory. In there, try removing the settings directory (stores the ignore list).
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 09:52:18 pm »

Well I'm thinking it's one of the two things I've discussed; Idicus is using quite the old system, so it's possible that he's experienced corruption on the HDD, and that's caused corruption on the HDD where his Atrinik installation is located. Either that, or it's a bug in the /ignore list. But my system just crashed so now I need to run chkdsk myself & recover from that. :p
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »

well i deleted everything for atrinik client, about to download and reinstall it, then i'll go hunt down that file that Cleo talked about to see if that works

and if you see me logging into game? thats weird cause i login into game and it tells me Welcome to Atrinik yet the game doesnt pop in....it just hangs there at the char name and password screen.

Offline Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 10:27:22 pm »

Go to Start -> Run, and type:

%appdata%

You should find .atrinik directory in there; make sure you can see hidden files.
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 10:52:30 pm »

/ignore command bugged folks, dont use it!

Offline NiteStar

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 10:59:22 pm »

Go to Start -> Run, and type:

%appdata%

You should find .atrinik directory in there; make sure you can see hidden files.

Actually, you need to type:

cd %appdata%

(just typing %appdata% returns with a

'C:\Documents' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

error....

EDIT:
Idi, what makes you think it was /ignore and not HDD corruption? Did you run chkdsk on your drive?

/ignore is working for me, I just tried it. Quit & re-entered the game a few times, adding someone to /ignore list each time.

(I've exited the client completely, btw).

So makes me think, either it was a corruption in your HDD where Atrinik was installed, or somehow you Atrinik installation got corrupted....
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 11:04:53 pm by NiteStar »  Logged
Offline Cleo
Developer
Alex Tokar

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 11:00:07 pm »

Seems to have worked for Idicus.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: