linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  General Chat
linktree Topic: test map Eldwood's
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: test map Eldwood's  (Read 7429 times)
Offline idicus
Developer

« on: August 02, 2010, 12:07:48 am »

ok this map will be the first of a larger mapset for Eldwood area. take a look and post a comment, BE a Critic ya wimps!......its Suppose to be a burned up pretty much dead area of a forest.....think forest fire.

* Vielumin Ruins.png (213.9 KB, 1152x576 - viewed 382 times.)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 08:29:03 am by Kiana »  Logged

I am not retreating! i am simply attacking in a different Direction!
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 12:25:35 am »

If it's a burned-up dead area of the forest, why is the grass green?

IIRC, Ghost came up with a good method of creating ground cover that looks like dead grass, for the Clearhaven graveyards map. Maybe that would help you with that?
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »

just because there was a forest fire...the first thing to grow back is grass and mushrooms.....burned out trees yes.....but i was thinking forest fire and then 1 year later ...thats why i put in those evil trents...they are pissed off over their forest getting burned.

Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:52 pm »

The map looks great. The idea's nice, can't wait to see it worked out with a tree that was saved from the fire by elven magic or a cave with gnolls, anything you can come up with is usually good :) It can easily be added to the south-east corner of Eld Woods Island.
~Kiana~
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 12:40:08 am »

Well after spending 2 hours bugging Cleo and Kiana on why i couldnt get all the maps to link and work together i stumbled across the reason WHY!

IF all the maps are in your mapmaker program under /Maps.....to link them all together is easy.

1.Open the Map (center map of the mapset), use CTRL + M key.
2.Click on the Tab that says Maptile.
3.Find and Place all your Maps in the proper direction from the Center (first map.....that is if your building from the Center out).
4. Repeat this for EVERY Map so all the maps that touch each other are Linked together!.
5. Then go back to each map after your Done and MAKE SURE that little Letter is changed from a R to an A <----very important. this will Add the / in front of your map name.....simply putting a / in front of it and leaving the Letter R will not link your Maps Correctly!!!!! Change all maps links to the letter A.....then you will be good to go.....

P.S---- anytime you change your Maps SAVE THEM!

Commands to know on Server:
1. /dm <--- sets you too a DM
2. /goto <--- teleport command ie: (my maps are named Vielumin) so to use this command after setting to /DM, type /goto  /Vielumin (for the other 8 maps i just  numbered them Vielumin2 ect ect ect) so /goto /vielumin2 <---will take you to another map.
3. /resetmap <---- use this to refresh your maps to see changes.

Thats it for now, 6 maps down and 3 to go (i hope hehe). i will post more as i hold Cleo and Kiana down and Beat them with a 15 foot wet noodle and learn more useful info.

Offline Lippy
Developer
Rantoholic

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 02:03:10 am »

Yeah, that's the problem with linking maps. It's very easy to link maps together (Gridarta is a big help here), but if anything goes wrong, it's a tedious task of fixing those broken connections. This is especially true with larger mapsets. If for some reason you want to rename a large set of tiled maps, you have to go through them all and rename all the map links too. And if there's any scripts in any maps which reference those renamed maps, they need to be changed too.

The situation of renaming maps isn't very common, but dealing with map linking problems does happen every now and then. It's pretty easy to forget to link a new map to another particular map when creating a large mapset. The only improvement I can see here is if there was a script that can automatically link maps together if they have the same filename apart from differing xxyy coordinates.

I know there's that mass map renaming script I made a while back. It quickly became a bit overcomplex and I never quite finished it because I never needed it in the end. Perhaps I could take that and simplify it into a script that can auto-link maps together...

The signature isn't ready yet. Come back tomorrow!
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 05:30:18 am »

Well after spending 2 hours bugging Cleo and Kiana on why i couldnt get all the maps to link and work together i stumbled across the reason WHY!

Because you were trying to map after drinking 1/2 gallon of whiskey? ;)

<g, d, r>
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:06:05 am »

LOL, nope! no whiskey tonight!

Hmmm so it would be a good idea to rename all the maps Now instead of waiting till after scripting is done eh? thanks for that info. i didnt know about any of that with scripting.

Ok update, the Core 9 mapset is done.....kinda, got to rename some Mobs and change a few mobs like the Queen Mob (only mob i thought that looked like a Elven Lady...think Mage)....but i will wait on doing that till i talk with Kiana or Cleo and find out the best way of stripping a mob down and resetting its abilites ect.

about to start on the "border maps" thinking 9 maps that will wrap around the core mapset to give the mapzone a larger feel to it.....all total this mapset should be 18 maps. Hopefully i will have them all done tonight since ive a day off tomorrow...errrr well today hehe!

Offline NiteStar

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:28:24 am »

Marathon session, eh? Any previews we can see?

And yes, I keep falling asleep at the keyboard :P
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 11:06:34 pm »

Map Zone Complete, 20 maps.......1 Gnoll Outpost and 1 Elven Old Tree (thinking of 1-2 Quests).

Gnoll Outpost----coming up next.....But i need more Icons of different Gnolls, having a single Pic of a Gnoll with a halberd would suck......any help out there on this problem?

Elven Old Tree---- where the Quest MAY be at.....still thinking on this.

Offline Anonymous

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2010, 04:27:30 am »

I actually started working on a map generator/renamer for Gridarta for Daimonin, but I've been doing other things right now. It worked pretty well in the state I left it in.
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 03:21:27 am »

Idi, you should be able to take all of the files and put them in one .rar file ....
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 04:09:01 am »

ok here is all the maps and here is the way they are put together in grid:

attachment removed on request by author
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:28:50 am by Atrinik »  Logged

Offline NiteStar

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 04:17:16 am »

LOL that's better but you didn't have to .rar the .zip!  :mrgreen:
Offline idicus
Developer

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 04:27:12 am »

forgot to say i was going to rename the mapset to Burnt Forest....

err oh ya map 10 west side at the bottom is where the entrance to mapset should be as the deeper you get into the forest the higher level the mobs will become.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: