linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Development  >  Suggestions
linktree Topic: spell power
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: spell power  (Read 2776 times)
Offline nobbit
« on: July 30, 2010, 01:49:33 pm »

i just realized today when i gave my lvl 43 magic missile heavy rod to boruta. he tried it and came up with a dmg of ... 64 or something. he still prefers using his lvl 35 stormer rod, cause 3x27 does 81 dmg. so that is odd, isn't it? i have some ideas, but with baby on arm it is difficult to type ... will come up with it later

edit #1:
the small solution might be that there might be a difference between lvl 35 fireball (27), firewind (2x27), firestorm (3x27), inferno (4x27), though the last two should de facto not be available before lvl 40 resp. 60

in consequence, a low lvl (normal) rod couldn't be worth more than a 10 lvl higher heavy rod anymore

edit #2:
the bigger thing would be to think abt spells more generally. My suggestion would be that some spells are available for every char regardless of class and whatever. Others might depend on a choice a player has to make pretty early in the game. So eg everyone could learn fireball, iceball (or snowball hehe) etc. but when it comes to the x2 effect as for firewind, icewind etc. (at lvl whatever) the player needs to chose a path - here: an elemental path. So if you go for fire, water (as is ice) and earth are limited to x1 effect, air is related to fire (fire needs air to expand) so air can be studied until x2 effect. earth and water might be connected the same way. these are just first thoughts. if this sounds interesting, i am willing to draw a more complex pic of spell paths etc.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2010, 03:46:03 pm by nobbit »  Logged
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 09:06:38 pm »

The suggestion for a more complex system of spells and prayers certainly gets my attention as a content dev. Some more diversity amongst what spells you may use is something I'd love to see implemented. Not only this would apply to spells, but also to the other types: prayers, melee, range.. Of course doing everything at once would create a mess, so why not start on a spells system using elements? :up:

In such a system, the "small solution" could be available in each elemental path.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2010, 03:07:33 am »

I like, and dislike, how spells now do a random amount of damage. I presume, though, that this random amount is based on something like dice-rolling system in AD&D?

In any event, I like the Nobber's thoughts on this, and was talking something along the same lines in another post, which was then split from the main post. I forget where it is, though. But yes, I think the attuned/repelled system should work for spell paths, and there should be character classes that have built-in attunement/repulsion of spell paths, for example such as the necromancer (for path of path) that Ghost has been working on. :)
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2010, 07:48:40 am »

The classes specify your attack type, not your attunements or elemental paths, just like it doesn't force you to enter a guild (we only have mercenaries atm).
The paths should be unrelated to the classes (which is probably why the topic NiteStar is talking about was split).
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 08:20:05 am »

Hrm, I think we're talking about two different things here, Kiana.

What I was talking about is that certain classes should have attunement to certain paths, such as the necromancer being attuned the path of death. Necromancer could be a sub-class of sorcerer, or a class unto itself.

I think what you're talking about, though, is more of an elemental thing, no? This might be more interesting if it were developed in-game with a storyline perhaps about choosing a different deity. So for instance, instead of worshiping the Tabernacle there could be different deities, who have different attunement/repulsion to different spell paths. That might be a nice way to introduce spell paths into the game, via deity choice.

But IDK, this all deserves more thought & planning ...

OTOH, here's something that DDhanna & I were discussing in-game:

Now that casting spells have a chance of missing their target, it would make more sense to me, given the types of spells available in-game, for mobs and players to have a chance to resist a magical attack, either wholly or partially, based on a number of factors:

1) level of mob vs player (and player vs mob)
2) inherent resistance of mob/player to magical attacks (e.g., dwarves might be more immune to magical attacks as they typically don't use magic, elves to certain types of magical attacks, etc.)
3) enhancements (reflect ammy, resistance gear, etc.) to magical resistance

Considering especially that magic bullet is based on the "Magic Missile" spell from AD&D-type RPGs, consider that Magic Missile strikes its targets "unerringly": http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicMissile.htm

BTW, speaking of spell development, that web site has a great list of spells found in AD&D-type RPGs: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spells.htm

EDIT:Here's a "Magic Stone" spell that acts more like what's going on in-game with the change ATM, although it should be noted that this spell has a magically enhanced change to hit: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/magicStone.htm
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 08:21:57 am by NiteStar »  Logged
Offline nobbit
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 09:48:02 am »

so, did i get it right: no need to work out a more complex system right now? ty ;)
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 11:04:04 am »

No, NiteStar is wrong. Again, classes and paths are unrelated.
As for Magic Missile, we have that :) (and it's not magic bullet)

I still encourage a more complex 'paths' system.
Preferably related to deities, thus possibly related to alignment.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 08:15:04 pm »

I know that that's how things currently are but I'm talking about development-this is the suggestions area, after all. IMHO some classes & paths (some paths, not all, and some classes, not all) should be linked to one another.

Don't know why we have to keep going round & round with this, and don't know what your object is to linking some classes to some paths, etc. :(
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 10:13:34 am »

Linking only some would be even worse.

I'm not sure I've explained the reason we don't want it (paths being related classes) on the forum (there's so many posts scattered around the forum about it). However, I certainly have in-game.

:arrow: Classes are unrelated to paths/deities/alignment because classes specify which type(s) of attacking you're proficient in. Paths are related to deities (not implemented yet).

~Kiana~
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: