linktree Atrinik.org - Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game  >  Community  >  General Chat
linktree Topic: My new PC
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My new PC  (Read 14533 times)
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 05:05:54 am »

Right, all of these different things to remember, and that's just for the CPU.

Throw in the motherboard, CPU packaging, GPU, bus type/speed, and all the other myriad components that go into a PC nonwadays, and you practically have to devote the equivalent of a half-time job just keeping up on what's what.

I wonder if there is a database out there with a web front-end that contains, in the aggregate, all of this information....
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2010, 12:13:38 am »

Case, fan and ram arrived today :)
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 08:51:04 am »

Case, fan and ram arrived today :)
~Kiana~

So now all you need is the MB, CPU, and HDD, yes? And still no word on when that will arrive? :(
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2010, 02:39:01 am »

And PSU.
Still nothing.
They don't have the MB.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2010, 02:47:46 am »

Who doesn't have the MB?

You don't have the PSU yet? How big did did you get it? 500W?
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2010, 02:49:35 am »

The shop doesn't have it yet, they get it from manufacturer..

I posted the specs of all parts in first post of this topic.
Are you really interested or just gathering posts? :P
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2010, 02:50:39 am »

I'm really interested, and I forgot that you posted the specs there. The wattage wasn't obvious when I skimmed the message but now that you've pointed it out, I can figure it out. 400W should hopefully be enough with today's greener computes ...
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2010, 02:51:35 am »

It is, according to the specs of the other parts :P
While leaving enough room for expansion.
~Kiana~
Offline Lippy
Developer
Rantoholic

« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2010, 03:40:24 am »

Wattage is meaningless on PSUs. It's like assuming one CPU is faster than the other simply because it has a higher clock speed. You could get a cheap 1000W PSU and think it's a bargain, but I bet it won't be able to handle half the power of that 400W Corsair. Plus, if the cheap PSU fails, which is likely, it will probably take out the other components with it. Quality PSUs have much better protection in case they fail. It's the one thing I would never skimp out on cash on as it's just not worth it.

The signature isn't ready yet. Come back tomorrow!
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2010, 03:44:36 am »

The corsair has some nice technologies to prevent that from happening.
Picked it with thanks to Lippy's advice :)
~Kiana~
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 05:05:27 am by Kiana »  Logged
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2010, 09:04:34 am »

The skipper there knows more about hardware than I do, and I consider myself to be fairly knowledgeable on the subject (not an expert mind you but someone most folks can turn to for assistance). And he's usually been there for me when I've had a question to which I couldn't find the answer. In short, he's a technological mensch.  :D
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2010, 10:29:09 pm »

As some of you might know already, the last package arrived almost immediately after sending an e-mail to customer support. I built the pc, was shocked because of the small size of the cpu, was way more shocked because of the awful noise of the cpu heatsink and it's fan. All in all, one nice pc :) I might just have to start looking for a different heatsink/fan for the Phenom II 995 X4 :P

It's not done yet, installing Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit atm.
Maybe I'll try the new Ubuntu when I've got windows up and running.
~Kiana~
Offline NiteStar

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2010, 12:26:14 am »

Ditch winblows, use Ubuntu. If I get a desktop/tower, I'll be running Ubuntu on it (or some form of Linux). :D

EDIT: Gratz Kiana & hope to see you back in-game soon! >.<
Offline Lippy
Developer
Rantoholic

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2010, 01:42:56 am »

Yeah, gratz on the new build. Well, all stock heatsinks suck really. Your CPU will run hotter than most since it was previously a flagship CPU with all the bells and whistles, so the heatsink needs to do a bit of work. I'd keep the CPU under 62°C at all times since that is the maximum specified operating temperature. Try load testing it to see how high it will go so you know it's safe when under demand.

Even a cheap after market heatsink should run much quieter and keep your CPU much cooler if the stock heatsink sucks too much. I noticed a big difference in sound and temps when I swapped mine and my CPU has a TDP of 65W. So you should probably notice a bigger difference. My current heatsink is inaudible really; all I hear are the case fans. It's a good idea anyway if you ever plan to overclock, since it's harder to keep your CPU under the thermal limit rather than voltage. Although if you need to keep it power efficient, it's not a good idea to up the voltage more than just a touch, if at all.

The signature isn't ready yet. Come back tomorrow!
Offline Mamoru
Developer
Edwin Miltenburg

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2010, 07:41:54 am »

At full speed my case fans produce 7-10 dB (each), practically inaudible.
Unfortunately changing the heatsink for any other than the delivered one voids the 3 year warranty.
~Kiana~
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 03:41:07 pm by Kiana »  Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: